Site Updates (July 9, 2012)

by alayton at 11:30pm

What better way to start the week than with a fresh set of updates? In the launch announcement, I outlined a couple big features that I was going to be working on, and the first of them is already available. Here's a list of what's changed since launching the full site:

• Map marker tweaks to make them more distinct and easier to recognize, while keeping the prettier look.
  • Loot search! One of the most requested features since the map went up is now available. Just start typing the item you want to find in the search box on the map sidebar, and it'll help you find what you're looking for.
  • Linking your item searches. Just like you can copy the map URL to show friends where you're looking on the map, now you can copy it to show the item spawn you want too.
  • Items in the map loot lists now link to their respective database pages. Just click a marker, and then the item you want to find more information about!
  • Database pages have a link back to the map showing where that item can spawn. It's in the Quick Facts box!
  • Database comments now sort by a weighted score. This just means that the higher rated a comment is, the closer to the top of the comments.

Adding your own content

Part of what makes a site like this shine is the ability for everyone to add their own little touches. You can do that by writing comments on database pages, rating other comments, and submitting screenshots. Rating comments is especially easy, and helps to make it easier for the rest of the community to find relevant and helpful information.

All you need is an account, and they're very easy to create. If you have a Wowhead or ZAM account, you can log in with that right away. Otherwise, you can create an account by either signing up with an email and password, or you can use your Google account and skip passwords entirely.

Stuff is missing!

If you're looking for 1.7.2 data, don't get too excited - there's not many changes that would be reflected here. In fact, the loot tables didn't change at all, which seems strange with the addition of bear traps. I'm looking into whether the way they worked changed, but for now, the data on the site is the most current I have.

There's a bunch of newly added articles that don't have anything in them. All of the equipment pages were added today so that the links from the map went to a real page. You can post comments and screenshots, and actual articles should be coming soon.

Still to come

The next big thing coming will be improved markers. This includes more accurate vehicle and fuel pump markers, adding in missing markers that some of you have sent in, as well as allowing you to make and share your own sets of markers. That last one's a big one, and something a ton of people have been asking for since the map went live. I can't wait to make it happen for all of you.

Comments

+2-
By Techercizer on 2012/07/10 at 12:30am

Perfect. With loot table searching added, this site has completely replaced dayzmap.info for me. Once the equipment gets relatively sorted out, it will replace the day z wiki for me as well.

It's so nice to get hard numbers for things like damage, range, and spawn chances. Keep up the good work!

+5-
By Vantage on 2012/07/10 at 3:26am

A feature that I would REAAALLLLY like to see in this DB, that would put it so much farther ahead of any other DB Ive ever seen for DayZ, would be the ability to mark a route on the map, and send the route to a friend. For example, me and a friend often follow a specific route through Cherno to loot the best of the buildings and get out safe, and recently we have had a third person who joins us on the loot runs. It took us AGES to explain our route carefully to him, and in the end he got lost, and got killed.

Thanks for the hard work,

Vant

+5-
By Denned on 2012/07/10 at 3:43am

Yea the abillity to make routes would be amazing! And then add some waypoints with notes about what we're going to do at a specific point :)

+0-
By Vanlock on 2012/07/10 at 9:47am

Thanks a lot, this site is now the most useful source of information for DayZ.

I've copied some of the weapon data for most rifles from the Dayz Wiki, I hope it's useful. I put it in the comments, but If we can edit the weapon info page, I'll put it there;

+5-
By Kalyko on 2012/07/10 at 3:04pm

I would also like to see chopper crash areas added to the map if possible. I know they are random-ish, but there are definately areas where I have consistently seen them. Adding those along with their appropriate item tables would be great.

+1-
By Techercizer on 2012/07/10 at 3:21pm

Would it also be possible to get rate of fire listed on weapon pages? It's a pretty important bit of information, but I have yet to find a site that offers hard numbers in that area.

+1-
By Dist on 2012/07/10 at 11:22pm

Chopper crash site spawn points

+2-
By ColdIce on 2012/07/11 at 12:42am

@Dist: Heli crash spawns can't be added, as their location is different between the servers.

Edited by ColdIce on 2012/07/11
+1-
By Lewbot on 2012/07/11 at 2:44pm

I'd like fuel tank locations to be added to the main map, it'd help to know exactly where I can find all fuel tanks, rather than only knowing where the gas stations are!

+1-
By safwanish on 2012/07/12 at 3:37pm

I love this site. But would it be at all possible to add the ability to add markers on map? And save them to your account? For example, if I have a tent and car stashed at some co-ordiantes. Will I be able to add marker on dayzdb.com map and it'll save into my account? sort of like a private map?

+0-
By zg7 on 2012/07/13 at 10:57pm

Hey guys.

First of, great map and all that. Thanks for all your hard work.

I was watching a YT video from sacriel42 where he had has a mini map open to show his position during the video and at some point he trying to figure out the range to a sniper on a opposite hill.

That got me thinking, is it possible to get a range calculator of some sort imbeded into the map? Obviously it's fairly easy to estimate the distance but I think would be rather neat to be able to drag a line and get a somewhat accurate distance from a to b.

+0-
By Techercizer on 2012/07/15 at 11:54am

@zg7 Okay, now you're starting to go from "providing useful information" right into "getting unfair advantages".

Determining range is a key skill in ArmA, especially for snipers who often have long times to look that sort of thing up on a map. There's a reason why the rangefinder is one of the rarest tools in the game.

+0-
By PhoenixKsE on 2012/07/15 at 1:18pm

The helicopter crash sites on the map seem to be wrong. I went to four of the supposed sites, and there was definitely no helicopter there. Just thought I'd let you know... please check your notes.

+2-
By alayton on 2012/07/15 at 1:51pm

They're possible crash sites. There's no way to show exactly where they're currently spawned, because there's no way of knowing which spawn point was randomly chosen.

+1-
By oziix on 2012/07/16 at 9:42pm

What happened to the heli crash sites? It made is easier than using my other map for this

+1-
By alayton on 2012/07/16 at 10:31pm

They don't have set spawn points. They can spawn anywhere that isn't a forest or building.

+1-
By cook on 2012/07/17 at 5:08am

Helicopter crashes stopped showing up on the map. Intended?

Edited by cook on 2012/07/17
+1-
By MA1 on 2012/07/17 at 6:54am

since today 07/17/12 heli crash sites disappeard!!!!!

+1-
By BawxStuff on 2012/07/17 at 10:01am

Loving the database, super useful already but I have to agree with the many posts below that what would make this perfect would be the ability to mark stuff on the map!

Routes, Notes, Markers would be great. Zones maybe. And of course a filter for each so you can toggle user created notes. And of course bind them to an account.

It would be great to link friends to a version of the map thats linked to an account so you can all see the same stuff.

+0-
By TitanKing on 2012/07/19 at 12:20am

Some Shotgun Mag.Size in Weapon Comparison are not correct.

Double-barreled Shotgun - 2 M1014 - 8 Remington 870 (Flashlight) - 8